Starting Your Own Beach Bocce League
March 23 2012, 0 Comments
Thanks to its ease of play and laid-back spirit, bocce is surging in popularity. From the East Coast to the West Coast and everywhere in between, the simple Italian game of tossing balls is seeing a huge revival. And Beach Bocce Ball is shaping up to be one of the best games for summer since the invention of the Frisbee. So imagine this: You have a new Beach Bocce Ball set, a couple of friends who like to play, but you want to really get the community involved. There’s a simple solution—Start a Beach Bocce League. Here are some tips on how to get started:
· Choose organizers for the league. You and a couple of other real enthusiasts should be fine. Decide whether you want teams, individuals, or both, but don’t get too carried away with micromanagement. The point is to have fun, after all.
· Go to places where you’re likely to recruit new players. A public park or beach is an obvious example. Also, consider senior living centers. Because it’s a low impact sport, Beach Bocce Ball is one of the best activities for seniors.
· Print some flyers for community bulletin boards. Use Internet message boards and social media to spread the word about your league. Ask people to sign up and begin drafting a schedule for games.
· Plan to have all competitions take place on the same night of the week, if possible. That way, league members can mingle and bond with each other. Remember that Beach Bocce Ball is a social game. Provide drinks and comfy seating for those not playing.
· Involve local merchants. Ask a well-known restaurant or bar to sponsor a Beach Bocce Tournament. It’s cheap advertising for both of you. Schedule it for the last good weekend of summer, like Labor Day, so the winner can spend the whole winter basking in the warm glow of victory.